A dental emergency can strike at any moment, catching us off guard and causing discomfort or pain. While some dental emergencies can be prevented with proper oral care and regular dental check-ups, others may occur unexpectedly.
Understanding the common causes of dental emergencies can help us be better prepared and take prompt action. At Vital Dental Care, we are here to provide immediate assistance with our same day booking service, ensuring you receive the care you need when you need it most.
6 Common Causes of Dental Emergencies
- Trauma to the Mouth or Jaw: Accidents happen, and when they involve the mouth or jaw, they can result in dental emergencies. Sports injuries, falls, or unexpected impacts can cause fractures, dislocations, or tooth breakage. Such incidents require immediate attention from a dental professional to assess the damage and prevent further complications.
- Infections: Dental infections, particularly abscesses, are painful conditions that require urgent treatment. They often occur as a result of untreated tooth decay or gum disease, allowing bacteria to penetrate the tooth or gums. An abscess can cause severe pain, swelling, and even fever. If left unaddressed, the infection can spread to other areas of the body, leading to more serious health issues.
- Severe Tooth Decay: Untreated tooth decay can progress to the point where it becomes a dental emergency. Cavities that have penetrated deep into the tooth can cause excruciating toothaches or result in a fractured tooth. It is crucial to address tooth decay promptly through regular dental visits and proper oral hygiene practices to avoid such emergencies.
- Gum Disease: Advanced stages of gum disease can cause the gums to recede, leaving the teeth vulnerable and loose. When teeth become loose, they are at risk of falling out, leading to an emergency situation. Regular dental check-ups and maintaining good oral hygiene habits are essential to prevent gum disease and its potential complications.
- Orthodontic Emergencies: For those undergoing orthodontic treatment, emergencies can arise due to broken braces, wires, or retainers. Discomfort or pain may occur if the orthodontic appliances become loose or shift out of place. Seeking immediate attention from an orthodontist is crucial to prevent further issues and ensure the treatment progresses as planned.
- Wisdom Teeth: The eruption of wisdom teeth can cause complications, such as impaction or infection. Impacted wisdom teeth can lead to pain, swelling, and even damage to neighbouring teeth. In such cases, prompt dental intervention is necessary to alleviate discomfort and prevent further complications.
Contact Vital Dental Care Now for Urgent Dental Treatment
Dental emergencies are often unexpected, and seeking immediate treatment is vital to prevent further pain or complications. At Vital Dental Care, we understand the urgency of these situations, which is why we offer same-day bookings for emergency cases.
Our friendly and caring team is here to provide prompt and professional assistance, ensuring your dental emergency is addressed efficiently. Don’t hesitate to contact us at (07) 3152 7622 immediately or to book online if you are experiencing any symptoms of a dental emergency. We will do our best to accommodate you right away.